Visit Prostatitis.org    
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:23 am

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Pain sitting & sleeping: Sciatica, Piriformis or Prostate? 

Post Pain sitting & sleeping: Sciatica, Piriformis or Prostate?
P-Team:

Need your insight.

Quick update on my prostatitis: pain from penis tip has gone but I still have the frequent urination and dripping after urination. Just wrapping up a 5-day Flagyl prescription (500mg 3x a day) and a 15-day prescription of Bactrim 2 x a day based on an EPS that picked up moderate growth of Staphylococcus Arureus. No real change in frequent urination, dripping symptoms or pain while sitting. Also, weirdly enough, my semen is low volume and very thick and stringy now. Anyone else have this happen to their sperm while on Bactrim?

I will check back in with the Uro for another EPS culture 30 days after I finish this ABX prescription. What originally sent me to see the Uro was the pain in my buttocks while siting and sleeping as it has been getting quite severe past 3 months. I expected the ABX to at least take the pain in my butt away as I thought it was my prostate hurting.

Instead, I am traveling and went to the ER doctor as I am having some even more pain when sitting which I assumed was linked to my prostatitis.

Sitting on the plane and in office chairs at client site was like sitting on a hot frying pan. Worse, when I was going to sleep in hotel I couldn't lay on my back because the feeling would return! Great bed. Nice and soft so that is not the cause. Pain seems to be gradually increasing and even as I type this I am working from a standing desk and have some pain in the bottom of both butt cheeks. If you can imagine that space on each leg where your the back of your thigh meets your buttocks cheek - right there - on both sides. The pain can sometimes also radiate up to my lower back just above the cleft in my backside. The pain is more of a sharp burning pain than anything. Walking and standing causes no pain and stretching and exercise elps a lot. Sleeping on my stomach causes no pain and I can sleep. But sitting down is a killer. No pain in my toes or feet though I am having some muscle cramping in my feet and legs at night.

ER Doctor ordered blood test to check Vitamin B12, Thyroid, Vitamin D, Magnasium levels and Blood count but he suggested I buy a cushion to sit on. He doesn't think it is linked to my prostate and in fact thinks I am just sitting too much or have low levels of minerals. I didn't argue as I could see he wasn't interested (ER Doc).

So now I am wondering if the pain is just my sciatica nerve or something called "Piriformis syndrome" as google suggested OR if it is some neurological symptom of my prostatitis. Perhaps taking all of the ABX have depleted my minerals or something?

Anyone have this problem before? Ideas?

Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:09 am

Post Re: Pain sitting & sleeping: Sciatica, Piriformis or Prostat
Pain from the prostate is usually easy to identify. You don’t or shouldn’t need a Dr to tell you that’s where it’s coming from. Prostate pain can move all around your hips, down your legs etc. You mention a burning feeling so just throwing this out there, but hip pain can cause a burning feeling in your upper thigh.

Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:29 pm

I can’t sit at all
Intense burning pain and tightness through entire rectal|pelvic area,
going in 6 years. Have had every test possible.

Sold my car cuz I can’t sit to drive

Sounds like your in the realm of chronic pelvic pain syndrome

Don’t take more antibiotics. You will only kill all the
beneficial bacteria in your GI tract....and still have the original pain

I can’t offer any suggestions I’ve tried everything

Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:50 pm

Try going to a good physio AC maybe. My prostatitis went away years ago but I get the sitting pain, it is bad, probably as bad as Race. It is very difficult. Doing some physio exercises to strengthen my glutes improved the butt pain maybe fifty percent, but I’m doubting I can get rid of this thing now through treatment.

Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:52 pm

I have two physios

One says relax
Other says stretch and strengthen

I’ve decided to save my limited funds

Given up, just trying to retrace the difference between
when I actually lived, and when the evil started

I fear the answer is extreme stress causing a cascade
of nervous system effed uppidness, causing tension
...subconscious a type we can’t control

still looking for the pill that cures effed up nervous system
tension resultant pelvic floor confusion

Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:47 pm

When I had prostatitis I eventually had burning nerve pain that varied from anywhere between my things and my belly-button. Presumably it was from muscle tension as it was generally worse a day or two following ejaculation. It was like a sunburn feeling in my whole groin area and would sometimes radiate down my legs to my knees. Eventually it just went away with the rest of my prostatitis symptoms.

Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:47 pm

Those minerals and several vitamins are definitely connected to neurological health. I started a B-complex from the dollar store a while back, and it helped reduce lots of tension and most of the infrequent spasms I was getting in my perineum and legs / glutes. This was after I had received several months of physiotherapy that targeted my various hip muscle groups and back / shoulders / neck. One of the problems with sitting so often is it preconditions the back and spine / neck and head to bad posture and positioning. It subsequently tires eyes, constrains deep breathing, can induce weight gain, and makes stretching more difficult. All of that results in unhealthy blood flow, cognitive slowing, and neurological stress. So, along with prostatitis or other problems, it can easily cause burning and sharp pain in various areas, as well as dull pain. Isn't that what a headache is often caused by? Lack of proper nutrients, bad posture / positioning, lack of blood flow, etc.?

I'd suggest trying the doctor's advice in that case, and add to it a mineral or herbal that induces relaxation for sitting long durations and sleeping. No sleep aids like Tylenol PM or ambien. Go strictly herbal / mineral, and not in humongous doses. Start moderate and increase / decrease according to experience and results. If there's any side effects, look for something to offset those, and/or ask a doctor. I still have urinary dripping, difficulty getting it all through, and am considering getting back on the alpha-5 reductase inhibitor FloMax. It relaxes pelvic muscles in addition to preventing urinary retention and difficulty.

One of the herbals I've tried in the past that is definitely effective, but is rather potent, is valerian root. But there's a particular type of ginseng, and a few other milder herbs that provide a relaxing effect. Chamomile, kava kava, lavender, panax ginseng (American ginseng), and skullcap. The panax ginseng is an overall balancing stress-reducer, and gives stable energy. The first 3 listed are for calm, relaxation, anxiety reduction, and helping with sleep, and so is skullcap. Valerian root is the most potent of all the ones I listed, but in smaller doses is effective for relaxing and getting to sleep / staying asleep. Lacking sleep also is a potential precursor to high blood pressure, which could be a cause of pain too if it's happening.

Try not to exercise frequently, but only 1-3 x per week, and mild exercise. Your nerves are probably frayed and oversensitized from what's causing the pain, and from the pain itself, so too much exercise or going strong at it would merely worsen that and/or keep it going. I was a swimmer in high school, a sprinter actually, and I got spinal / back problems a number of times. If I kept on like I usually did, it would get worse or continue. So I walked a bit slower, was more relaxed in my swimming for a time, and overall went about things easier and gentler than usual, and it was gone after a time. It didn't occur anymore. It's vital to allow your body to obtain and get into the healing process. Shoving a pill down with a full glass of water doesn't always succeed in curing. Kinda like how cold medicine doesn't entirely stop or get rid of the cold every time. It simply helps the immune system fight it, and reduces the symptoms and stress of dealing with it.

One more suggestion: put your plan in writing and look at it daily or at least every few days. It's capable of reminding you and helping to kinda surround you with the awareness that you're doing something about it. If what you're doing is working, it can help reinforce that.

Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:09 pm

I think presto is going along the right lines. For a lot of these serious chronic illnesses you have to get holistic, that’s because there isn’t a magic pill for many of them from the doctor, nor does the doctor know or care much about non conventional approaches that can help. I used to take lyrica for sleep, now I combine tinctures of valerian, skullcap, passionflower, chamomile and poppy and mostly sleep like a dog, and I mix them round now and again to maintain effectiveness.

For overall pain in muscles, I’ve had benefits from a physio and dry needling with massage. Still working on a good herbal solution, but I am hopeful. Also planning to use the Dead Sea salt bath and some Ayurvedic massage oils, something has got to work eventually for the muscle spasm thing. Deep heat cream works surprisingly well although temporarily.

Sat Nov 09, 2019 3:17 am

chris85 wrote:
I think presto is going along the right lines. For a lot of these serious chronic illnesses you have to get holistic, that’s because there isn’t a magic pill for many of them from the doctor, nor does the doctor know or care much about non conventional approaches that can help. I used to take lyrica for sleep, now I combine tinctures of valerian, skullcap, passionflower, chamomile and poppy and mostly sleep like a dog, and I mix them round now and again to maintain effectiveness.

For overall pain in muscles, I’ve had benefits from a physio and dry needling with massage. Still working on a good herbal solution, but I am hopeful. Also planning to use the Dead Sea salt bath and some Ayurvedic massage oils, something has got to work eventually for the muscle spasm thing. Deep heat cream works surprisingly well although temporarily.

Heat is definitely helpful for those of us with problems sitting. Been trying to get somewhat better before the holidays but not making progress as I would like. What type of cream do you use Chris?

Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:19 pm

'Deep heat' has got some anti inflammatories in it I use that, in the states it probably has a different name. It is the best topical I've found, essential oils are pretty useless.

Doing the physio exercises for the glutes seems to help the most with the hot bath. Although some guy in london massaged my shoulders and then stuck some needles directly into the muscles and the first time it made a big difference, Western acupuncture they call it.

I'm less convinced about the dead sea salt atm maybe I'm better off just eating that.

Sun Nov 10, 2019 3:05 am
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]