Visit Prostatitis.org    
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Dec 15, 2018 2:28 am

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ] 
 Vitamin D, Complications 

Post Vitamin D, Complications
Hey guys, what's happening? Been a while since I've been here, hope everyone's doing good. My prostatitis has gotten much better after three weeks of Diflucan, I no longer have to take Flomax, and the only time it's irritated is when I am constipated. So, finally some progress.

Anyway, my vitamin d levels are low, which bothers me. Each time I take a Vitamin D supplement, my prostate blows up with inflammation, it's so weird. It's like I get the opposite effect.

I am wondering if I am just not absorbing it properly due to candida overgrowth, or lack of bacterial flora that would naturally process a vitamin D supplement, or maybe from leaky gut. Anyone else have issues with taking vitamin D?

Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:24 pm

Post Re: Vitamin D, Complications
I've taken vitamin D for a long time at the request of my GI doctor due to stomach issues following my last C diff infection. Can't say that I've noticed any side effects from taking it. Can't really say that it did much good for my stomach either, I won't continue taking it once I run out.

Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:20 pm

Hey inflamed. That is unusual, I'm quite sensitive to a lot of stuff, but vitamin D seems inert to me and I haven't noticed anything.

Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:13 am

I benefited from vit D. Are you sure vit D is the cause of your flare up? You may want to start at a low dose like 1,000 IU per day then up your dosage gradually. I'm glad to hear of your progress after Diflucan. I urge you to continue with your diet and make a habit of avoiding sugar, dairy and some triggers of Candida. Follow up with a supplement like Alimax or candaclear. It further improved my condition along with reishi mushroom of course as per Chris85 advise :-)

Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:10 am

I think it is a sacred mushroom indeed!
Might have to give it another go myself quite soon.

Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:18 pm

chris85 wrote:
I think it is a sacred mushroom indeed!
Might have to give it another go myself quite soon.

I've switched to host defence for like 6 months now and I think it's a pretty reputable brand.

Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:28 am

Apart from they use the mycelium instead of fruiting body, possibly not quite as good, as the top part of the mushroom is used in TCM not the root. I think you just have to try these things and work out what works for your own problem, their stuff does work though.

Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:39 pm

I've been doing some more reading about this, I am not interested in promoting particular brands, but some mushroom experts are concerned about the use of mycelium to save money by large companies. Most scientific studies and TCM use the fruiting body, from one reputable source:

One of the biggest controversies in the medicinal mushroom industry today is the use of mycelium on grain extracts. Mycelium is to a mushrom like what roots are to a tree. When grown properly, they will form whole fruiting bodies; which are called mushrooms. However, to save money, most US producers of medicinal mushroom extracts today grow the mycelium on a bed of grain, like rice. To speed up production, and to make the end product cheaper to produce, these manufacturers grind up the mycelium and grain together, before allowing them to form whole fruiting bodies. The issue with that is that mycelium is not a mushroom, just like the roots of a tree are not a tree. The beneficial compounds in these mushroom species are all studied with relation to their fruiting bodies. The FDA even states that mycelium is not allowed to be called "mushrooms." However, many of the biggest brands today thwart that FDA guideline, and put out a cheaply-made, mislabeled, and ultimately inneffective products.

Then again, I have taken mycelium extracts from host defence and feel the effect. But on the whole, I'd rather consume the actual mushroom rather than the roots. You wouldn't go to the supermarket and buy mushroom mycelium for dinner...?

Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:59 am

OK, so after more searching, I can't find any clear consensus in scientific papers supporting using the mycelium or fruiting body. Both have medicinal compounds and are used in studies. The above quote from a nootropics website may not be that reliable and doesn't seem to reflect a few review articles I have just looked at.

It seems there is quite a lot of heated debate about this in various places, without clear answers!

Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:16 am

chris85 wrote:
OK, so after more searching, I can't find any clear consensus in scientific papers supporting using the mycelium or fruiting body. Both have medicinal compounds and are used in studies. The above quote from a nootropics website may not be that reliable and doesn't seem to reflect a few review articles I have just looked at.

It seems there is quite a lot of heated debate about this in various places, without clear answers!

I used different brands of reishi but I don't see a difference from each brand. Maintaining a healthy diet is still the best practice rather than just depending on supplements.

Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:29 pm

I have seen a difference, the host defence reishi made me more relaxed. The fruiting body seems more subtle and quite different, both contain different compounds so it makes sense. It's all a type of food at the end of the day, so could be seen as diet. Btw, I still think HD is a good brand.

Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:12 pm

I haven’t used mushrooms previously since I like to stay with what works in my case but I did purchase 2 brands last week. Host defense and BrainForza Red Reishi. My inflammation actually felt worse after trying the HD so stopped it and felt better. Going to try the BrainForza in the next few days. As for Vitamin D I had more symptoms taking it than not so I guess we all react differently although some of the reactions could be the result of whatever other medications we are taking in combination.

Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:19 pm

It's the fruiting body of reishi that is supposed to be more anti inflammatory because of the triterpenes. I don't live in America but I know nootropics depot and nammex use fruiting bodies, most commercial extracts are using mycelium. Whether you'd get a different effect on your condition, not sure.

Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:59 am

Thanks Chris. Yes I noticed a few debates going about the difference. Thought I read the studies focused on the fruiting body. Makes sense if that’s the case.

Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:20 am

There is triterpenes in the mycelium there are just less of them. I read about your extract, BrainForza, and they use mixed mycelium and fruiting body. It is grown on grain (rice), there have been complaints about grain grown mushrooms as some find them less strong. So far I've found HD the strongest mentally, very relaxing and they grow on rice. However, it didn't work for my condition so I'm trying a fruiting body only log grown reishi extract. I think you just have to try a few of the reputable companies with something like this. Other herbs are more straightforward like ashwagandha root powder, there is no extraction required, I think they just dry and grind it...

Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:05 am

This is only probably viablie information for those who know they are deficient but when it comes to Vitamin D alot of people will suffer complications due to how it interacts within the body, the conversion of Vitamin D will use up a large amount of magnesium which is another mineral alot of people are lacking in, using 600mg of magnesium chloride (200mg 3x a day) in a drink should help there.

200mg Vitamin K will help direct calcium away from soft tissues as Vitamin D will increase your absorption of Calcium.

Vitamin B complex can help with digestive issues and I have saw a conference where a practitioner used Vitamin B with Vitamin D to help the digestive issues their patients had.

Vitamin C can help with any repair work your body is doing with the new level of Vitamin D.

But the important thing is it will take 8 weeks at a set dose before retesting to see what level you will achieve.

Also note that specific organs can actually convert Vitamin D there self and do not rely on obtaining it from the blood, the prostate is one of those organs a study shown a very obvious difference in gene activity between those who had been taken Vitamin D and increased their levels and those who had not in prostate samples samples.

Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:07 pm

chris85 wrote:
There is triterpenes in the mycelium there are just less of them. I read about your extract, BrainForza, and they use mixed mycelium and fruiting body. It is grown on grain (rice), there have been complaints about grain grown mushrooms as some find them less strong. So far I've found HD the strongest mentally, very relaxing and they grow on rice. However, it didn't work for my condition so I'm trying a fruiting body only log grown reishi extract. I think you just have to try a few of the reputable companies with something like this. Other herbs are more straightforward like ashwagandha root powder, there is no extraction required, I think they just dry and grind it...

Chris I’m now trying Real Mushroom Reishi Extract 415. The HD seemed to have the opposite effect of making the inflammation worse. The one I’m trying now seems to be helping. I bought the other brand you recommended as well but haven’t received it yet but satisfied so far with the effects of this one.

Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:23 pm

The fruiting body extract I was talking about seemed to flair up my nerve pain, medicinal mushrooms quite strongly stimulate the immune system so it seems may cause a flair up in some people for this reason (?)

I'm back to ashwagandha root now, it seems more gentle and I like it. Herbalists talk about reishi as balancing the immune system, I guess that might be true for some extracts and situations. It's hard to find the truth when most people are trying to sell some agenda and tell you reishi will make you live forever and balance everything in your body because it's an adaptogen.

Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:26 am
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]