Visit Prostatitis.org    
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:18 am

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 Prostate culture question 

Post Prostate culture question
If you know my recent history I've been through the urology route, along with surgery. Currently working on pelvic floor physio...possibly my pelvic muscles are out of whack...too soon to know if this will help.

Question:

My urologist never did prostate fluid or semen cultures, just the usual urine and blood work, all negative. I didn't know about prostate or semen cultures until I found this board.

Should I go back to the urologist and ask for cultures? Possibly I have some low grade otherwise unidentifiable infection?

Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:58 pm

Post Re: Prostate culture question
Hi racebannon, I don't know your recent history, but if you are suffering from prostatitis symptoms, do go back to your urologist and ask for prostate fluid and semen cultures. If you have bacteria in the prostate or anywhere in the genital system, these are the fluids that should show it. Not urine. Definitely not blood. My urine and bloodwork would come out absolutely fine even when I was at the worst of my prostate and epididymis infections.

It's important to get the cultures because if you have infection, it will keep festering and causing you symptoms until you remove it completely. You may at best be able to manage your symptoms by being very regular with exercise and diet, and while those are good practices for the prostate, they will not kill infection. So do talk to the urologist about culturing the prostate fluid and the semen.

Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:39 pm
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]